Workshop - Router Table
This is a router table I began in April 2020 and upgraded in 2022.
Prior to building this table, I had a small bench-top router table that was difficult to adjust router depth on and took up a lot of space in the shop. I wanted to build this table to attach to the right wing of the table saw and I wanted it to have a smooth, accurately adjustable router lift. They make several commercial router lifts, but I wanted to see if I could make on myself, so I watched several YouTube videos and then designed one in StetchUp. I built the router lift mainly using baltic birch plywood and used an acme threaded rod sandwiched between guide rods and linear bearings to run the lift up and down. The top of the threaded rod was attached to a large cap screw that could be accessed from the top with an allen key to adjust the router depth.I also installed a large washer around the cap screw and aligned another, smaller cap screw to tight down and pinch the washer in the top to lock it in place. The router lift assembly was enclosed in a box made of plywood with a door for access to the router and dust collection port on the bottom.
I initially used plywood for the top, cut to fit into the space on the right wing of the table saw with a lip around the edges of bottom of the top to secure the top in place with bolts from the sides. I used the switch from the old bench-top router table attached to the back of the table saw (right side of the router table) to power the router on and off.
I built a fence with adjustable fence plates that secures to the table saw fence using two clamps. I installed a dust collection port to the top that I enclosed around the router bit. I lined the area on the two sides of the fence for storage.
Overall I was generally happy with the router table, but I noticed that the lock wasn't working very well to keep the router depth set and it would move slightly due to the vibration when the router was running - which is not good. The first fix I tried was to route a slot down the front of the router lift box and attach a bolt to the lift inside that could then be locked down with a knob from the outside. This worked to lock the lift in place but would cock the router bit a little off square when it was locked - which was also not good. At this point, I scraped the homemade router lift and purchased a good commercial one from Jess-Em. When I installed this, I also replaced the top with one made of melamine.
The router table now works perfectly and I'm very happy with how it performs!